"Our Past is Our Present?"

     Lately, I have been re-studying the times of the kings of Israel and Judah to re-visit the narratives that I had not read in some time.   As I studied the kings who were just 2-3 generations removed from the whole-hearted King David, I was struck with the realness of how our past truly impacts our present.  In chapters 15 & 16 the phrase "he went in the way of all the sins of his father" or something to that degree, came up often in such a short stint of Bible space so to speak. 
     This recurring phrase also brought to mind some recent situations that I have encountered with young people that I mentor who often use the excuse of, "Why should I do what you're telling me; you did exactly what I am doing" in reference to bad choices.  Honestly, I am still at a loss for words when I hear such a weak justification for not doing what one knows to be right.  
      Both the biblical reference and the everyday reality of trying to influence young adults (and all people for that matter) to go the right way reminds me that every generation has a choice...a choice to stand on the shoulders of those who came before us by either learning from their mistakes and/or emulating their wins.  This reminder caused me to also look in the mirror of repentance and ask myself a real question, "Am I going to be part of a generation that makes a deliberate choice to walk in the generational footsteps of righteousness or wickedness?"  The choice is ours; because the past truly is our present.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Are So Many Great Women Single? Part 1

"When Waiting Is Apart of Walking"

"Follow the Leader"