The Struggle Between Doing What's Right and Doing What's Easy

     A little bit ago, I had the experience of having to follow through on a commitment when the very thought of doing so made me ill.  As leaders, one of the lessons that is constantly reiterated centers on "being consistent." Well, no one ever talks about how exhausting being consistent and following-through truly is as a leader.
     As the leader I had secured a commitment from several stakeholders about an upcoming event.  When I arrived at the event the stakeholders had not followed-through on their part of the commitment. So I sat with an overflow of turmoil between, "should I allow the event to go on uninterrupted, sitting in silence" or "should I politely speak up and do my utmost to follow through as best as I know how."  My struggle was between doing what was right or doing what was easy.  And it was no easy struggle. If I did what was easy I would not have to incur a flood of frustration, but if I did what was right I was subjecting myself to possible ridicule and certain frustration.  This was one of those leadership lessons learned not in the books; but in the grind.  With much difficulty I decided to do what was right as best as I knew how.  And I followed-through.
     In my leadership prep programs I was taught that everything I did as a leader was a message; from the way I packed my lunch to the way I daily interacted with people. This decision to do what was right was a message loud and clear--if I make a commitment with you, I will do my best to be consistent and follow through.
     But, how many of us know that doing what is right never comes easy?  There was great push-back telling me that I should have taken the easy route and not followed-through on the commitment at that time; but to follow-through later.  And being a woman of faith that also happens to be a leader something happened in the midst of the struggle.  Something extraordinary.  The equipment that was absolutely necessary for the event to continue just shut down.  Literally shut down.  Despite many efforts to get it working; it simply would not work. In that very moment I saw the hand of God and His faithful kindness to me in an event that most will probably forget about. I saw the truth of what God's Word encourages us as leaders to be by establishing our leadership, "in righteousness." In that moment it did not matter that the major stakeholders did not follow-through; all that mattered was that I seek to lead God's way and He took care of the rest in such a demonstrative way. I will not soon forget how the Lord came through in such a mighty way in the struggle between doing what was easy and instead choosing to do what was right.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Are So Many Great Women Single? Part 1

"When Waiting Is Apart of Walking"

"Follow the Leader"